September 16th, 2018
DISCIPLESHIP - STEWARDSHIP - OWNERSHIP: WHAT IT REALLY COSTS
JAMES 3:1-12 AND MARK 8:27-38
Saint Francis of Assis: "Preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and if necessary use words."
"They are not fools who give up what they cannot keep to gain what they cannot lose"-Author unknown
When Jesus has this serious conversation with His disciples, it is when the popularity and notoriety of Jesus is at an all time high. He is being compared to John the Baptist, Elijah, Moses and the greatest prophets.
When Jesus says that he is going to be persecuted, prosecuted and put to death, Peter says hold on, wait a minute, you are on a roll Jesus. Jesus must have been tempted because He says to Peter: 'Get thee behind me Satan.'
Jesus makes it clear in no uncertain terms that to be His disciple comes at a cost, the cost is everything. What does it profit a person to gain the whole world and lose their own soul? What would you or could you give in exchange for your soul? All of Jesus' disciples would die a violent death, with the exception of John who wrote the Book of Revelation on the Isle of Patmos.
September 9th, 2018
THE POWER OF INTERCESSION/ INTERCESSORY PRAYER
INTERCESSOR: ONE WHO INTERCEDES IN AN EVENT, CIRCUMSTANCE OR PRAYER.
INTEGER: ANY OF THE NATURAL NUMBERS, THE NEGATIVES OF THESE NUMBERS OR ZERO.
A person who intercedes or gets involved is one who sees the need for involvement or intervention. Jesus is in seclusion from the crowds, but
the mother of the sick demon possessed child finds him. She begs Jesus and even though she acknowledges she is a Gentile, persists that
she too should be a recipient of God's grace, mercy and healing power. Jesus heals on this mother's persistent request.
The second person is brought to Jesus by family or friends who misdiagnose the problem. How often do we think that one thing is the issue and it is really something completely different, but God always knows what is really wrong. God always has the solution, the relief, the healing.
September 2nd, 2018
LOOKING FROM THE INSIDE OUT
THE LETTER OF JAMES 1: 1-27
The entire Letter of James is only four(4) pages, but they are packed with lifestyle and life advice. We are really impacted by the associations we make.
The old adage birds of a feather flock together is worth reflection. James shares in the first half of the first chapter about how your faith in God grows and develops. First and foremost you must have intentionality to grow: I want to be more like Christ Jesus, that is a stated desire, goal and intention.
1. Testing your faith produces endurance.
2. Endurance needs time for you to mature in your faith.
3. If you lack wisdom, ask God and He will provide it generously.
4. Ask in faith; it is the only way you should expect anything from God.
5. Be slow to speak, but quick to listen.
6. Be a doer of the word and not merely a hearer of the word.
7. God looks on the inside.
8. Walk by faith not by sight.
August 26th, 2018
Five Levels and Their Progressions in Storms and Challenges
The Spiritual Armour for Overcoming Storms and Challenges
from (The Letter of Paul to the Ephesians) the Book of Ephesians
1. Ephesians 6:14- The Belt of Truth
2. Ephesians 6:14b-The Breastplate of Righteousness
3. Ephesians 6:15 - Shoes That Will Make You Proclaim the Gospel of Peace
4. Ephesians 6:16b -The Shield of Faith
5. Ephesians 6:17 - The Helmet of Salvation
6. Ephesians 6:17b -The Sword of the Holy Spirit which is the Word of God.
14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
August 19th, 2018
SEVEN MIRACLES IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN
1. Turning water into wine ~ John 2:1-11
2. Healing the official’s child ~ John 4:43-54
3. Healing at the pool at Bethesda ~ John 5:1-9
4. Feeding the 5000 ~ John 6:1-5
5. Walking on water ~ John 6:16-25
6. Healing the man born blind ~ John 9:1-41
7. Raising Lazarus from the dead ~ John 11:1-4
SEVEN TIMES JESUS SAYS “I AM” IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN
1. I am the Bread of Life ~ John 6:35
2. I am the Light of the World ~ John 8:12
3. I am the Gate ~ John 10:9
4. I am the Good Shepherd ~ John 10:11
7. I am the vine ~ John 15:5